Shipping Containers, with their portable, stackable and widely available qualities provide a versatile pre-made module for architects around the world, and this process refers to Cargotecture or Arkitainer.They’re made from strong metal and aluminum, shipping containers can form a nearly indestructible home i.e fireproof and low maintenance. Plenty of used containers are available in the market.
You can customizeshipping containers to create the perfect layout for your home. The standard container measure 8 feet wide and 8 feet 6 inches high, and comes in lengths of 20 or 40 feet. Make sure a large truck can enter your site easily. Consulting an architect / contractor familiar with shipping container homes can help you decide on the size and layout of your home
Previous life of container
Do some research on the previous life of the shipping container you’re choosing whether it was used to transported toxic chemicals or hazardousmaterials. Ask for one – trip container they look like brand new.
A shipping container is a ready made self-supporting structure. The long, vertical walls on a container are load bearing when you made changes, it reflects in over all load distribution so, you need reinforced structure to over come this issue. For this reason you need an experienced designer / contractor.
- Due to their shape and material, shipping containers can be easily customised to fit many purposes.
- Because of their wide-spread use,there are 30 million unused container are sitting around the globe.
- They’re meant to be portable, which means you can ship and move them as you want, they already conform to standard shipping sizes
- If you want to reduce environmental impact considerably containers will pave a way by reducing the use of traditional building materials such as bricks and cement so, its eco-friendly
- Insulation is the big problem with building houses with containers, moist interior air condenses against the steel, becoming clammy. Rust will form unless the steel is well sealed and insulated.
- Obtaining building permits may be troublesome in some regions, Local building codes could limit the use of smaller homes or homes built with nontraditional materials.
- The size and weight of the containers will, in most cases, require them to be placed by a crane or forklift.
- In most cases, containers require crane to place them due to its size and weight and the site should be easily accessible for trucks.
A shipping container home simplifies the design and build process. The shipping container as a metaphor for a garage in which a lot of big companies had their first office, like Apple and Microsoft, by placing all these containers next to each other forms a perfect move-in ready home. Right planning and design, a shipping container home can make sense for a new homeowner.